Friday, June 29, 2012

2012.06.29 — Tao te Ching Translated by Stephen Mitchell



Lao-Tzu.
translated by Stephen MItchell.
Tao te Ching: the Book of the Way.
London: Kyle Cathie Ltd, 1996. ISBN 1856262340.

Began 2012.05.23.
Finished 2012.06.08
★★★★★

I stumbled into this translation of the Tao te Ching more or less by accident. It turned out to be a far better read than I thought it would be. I would put it third in rank with the other translations of the Tao te Ching I've read.

I liked that this book is without any kind of embellishment, in a simple classic font, one chapter per page. Mitchell's commentary is brief and in general interesting and contributes to the enjoyment of the read. He has put his comments in an appendix without footnotes.

Oddly enough, the thing that stood out to me in this translation above all else was the economic commentary. I plan to check the other translations I have to see if Mitchell's emphasis in his translation is why that stands out. Or did it stand out because I am once more preparing to teach another course of Debunking Economics that is scheduled for this fall? Psychology and synchronicity are sometimes hard to distinguish.

Anyway, here is what I mean:
Chapter 19
Throw away holiness and wisdom,
and people will be a hundred times happier.
Throw away morality and justice,
and people will do the right thing.
Throw away industry and profit,
and there won't be any thieves.

If these three aren't enough
just stay at the centre of the circle
and let all things take their course.
And:
Chapter 53
The great Way is easy,
yet people prefer the side paths.
Be aware when things are out of balance.
Stay centred with the Tao.

When rich speculators prosper
while farmers lose their land;
when government officials spend money
on weapons instead of cures;
when the upper class is extravagant and irresponsible
while the poor have nowhere to turn —
all this is robbery and chaos.
It is not in keeping with the Tao.
And:
Chapter 57
If you want to be a great leader,
you must learn to follow the Tao.
Stop trying to control.
Let go of fixed plans and concepts,
and the world will govern itself.

The more prohibitions you have,
the less virtuous people will be.
The more weapons you have,
the less secure people will be.
The more subsidies you have,
the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
I let go of the law,
and people become honest.
I let go of economics,
and people become prosperous.
I let go of religion,
and people become serene.
I let go of all desire for the common good,
and the good becomes [as] common as grass.

And once again, I see re-confirmed that nothing is new in the human social structures. Lao Tzu could be writing about what is happening right now in North America.

2 comments:

  1. I reread this last month. I must admit, it was better on the second read. I got a little more out of it, but there are still elements to it that do not do anything for me.

    The edition I have is pretty lame. Oh well! It was cheap, so I will not complain.

    I hope you're finished planning your classes and are all ready to start teaching! I couldn't imagine planning a class like that. I can't even plan my Sunday school class without getting stressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Al.
    The class work has been mostly in my head, because my computer decided to be snitty. My wife has had enough and I have been told in no uncertain term to replace it. I will do as demanded later today.

    As to perceiving the text differently on second (or later) reads, that is proof that you are changing. You will likely find that later reads will change what you find less and more meaningful. It is, now that I am getting old, a completely different book than when I was young.

    ReplyDelete